Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Summer Boyfriend Reality Show continues


Velvet and I have been watching TV together again. Nothing as chronic as True Blood but just as much fun.

Yesterday we watched some Star Trek Next Generation episodes with Q - who is one of my all time favorite characters anywhere - and the season premier of Heroes. Velvet loves Heroes. I'm having a bit of trouble following it since there are lots and lots of characters, all of whom have strange eyebrows. Another problem is that the storyline swerves into territory so familiar it seems to be morphing into a different show. First I could have sworn the new season would be X-men all over again, but now it's looking like they may be Lost since their airplane crashed before it could reach the Guantanamo like internment camp for mutants with superpowers.

I know about Lost since we saw several episodes last week on Monday night and a couple more tonight. I could get into Lost, actually, since it's completely implausible with a sprinkling of magic and a couple of hotties.

After Lost tonight, I watched Rachel Maddow as she compared Blagojevich to a Zombie who feeds on air time. Rachel is more than camera talent for sure - not like William Hurt in Broadcast News who was an ignorant, posturing dip shit - and she clearly has a lot of fun doing her show.

Watching the news and reading the paper are going to become a bit more important in my life these days since a new round of dating is about to begin. At the moment, there are two competitors: One fellow is quick and irreverent, and his work has something to do with videos which are posted onto the internet. He is very interested in the relationship between Oil and 9/11, although we've merely grazed the subject. He's on his way to Houston to spend a week documenting an energy conference. When he gets back, we're supposed to go out. At that time, we can determine if he's fascinating or Completely Fucking Crazy (CFC).

CFC is a useful term. It's not in the DSM-V, but we all run across individuals who are CFC every day. CFC and Fascinating are not mutually exclusive. However, CFC is not among the criteria for a successful Summer Boyfriend.

Friday night, I have a date with a former Wall Street lawyer who built and sold a business which left him with enough money to get a new Masters degree in something I forget - but it's like Public Policy - which led to an encore career working with NGO's on anti-corruption cases. Interesting segue. He's got a quick wit, an apartment in the city and a house on Montauk. He's divorced with two daughters in college and one the same age as Velvet who lives in Connecticut with her mother. So there are a few key elements in this guy's world that could potentially make for a decent sitcom material - which is, if the truth must be told, what I look for in a relationship. What good is romance if the individual doesn't make for an entertaining story line?

Velvet and I have a good thing going on over here at Menopausal Stoners World Headquarters. I need a romantic interest, for sure, but when it comes to introducing a Boyfriend into the action, I much prefer a recurring character like Eldon on Murphy Brown instead of going out with the goofball of the week which would be more like her string of short lived secretaries.

Robert Pastorelli aka Eldon, 1954 - 2004

And to tell another truth, I've got one foot back in Austin again, anyway. I've got miles to go before I sleep, but every time I begin a conversation with someone about moving back to Texas, I wind up talking about moving home.

Fortunately, I don't have to rush into a decision because Buzz Kill has agreed to postpone selling the apartment. Under the terms of our divorce, the apartment should have gone on the market within the next couple of months because Velvet is graduating from High School. I had already convinced Buzz Kill that it was a bad idea to sell this year for a few reasons, then the financial crisis worked in my favor. So I've got a year or two to figure out where I want to live when we eventually sell. It's kind of a drag to own property jointly with Buzz Kill, but it's not nearly as bad as when he still lived here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Gail said...

So exciting!!! The thoughts, comparisons, anticipation, your amazing humor and acronyms, exciting indeed.
I love how aspects of your life weave in and around your process.....
Your mind is big and bold!

Love Gail
peace.....

February 3, 2009 at 11:09 PM  
Blogger Kimberly M. Wetherell said...

A: Eldon was awesome.

B: I'm amazed at how you've managed dates when I have found no lovin' in playing the same field

C: Despite that, I still found butterflies tonight (more about that offline)

D: CFC - hilarious!

February 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Comrade Kevin said...

I think you would be wise to stay well away from crazy in all its incarnation.

February 4, 2009 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger VV said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was trying to figure out how you found me, but then I saw Swerve Left on your site, so I'm assuming that's how.

So I'm looking at your post and am amazed at how many things we have in common. First, "True Blood," I absolutely LOVE that show. Also, STNG, "Q" was my favorite character too. John DeLancy eventually did another show with Richard Dean Anderson of MacGyver fame where he pretty much continued a Q like character only set in the Old West. I think the show was called "Legend." His character was based on Nikola Tesla. I also like LOST and would prefer a boyfriend like Eldon too if I weren't in an ecstatically happy relationship already. Finally, I used to live in Austin. I lived in Round Rock from 1980-81 where I graduated from high school. I lived in Austin from 1981-1982, then again in 1983. I wandered a bit in 82-83. Later I lived in College Station, 1987-1991. I also grew up in upstate New York and lived there for a large number of years. Lastly, I love your nickname for your ex "buzz kill" too funny. Mine is "Spin Doctor." No matter how wrong he was and no matter how awful and sleezy his behavior, he could always put a spin on it to make it look better.

February 5, 2009 at 6:41 AM  
Blogger VV said...

Oh and speaking of Austin, check out what somebody did in Austin recently. It's here on my blog: http://myownzen.blogspot.com/2009/01/zombie-warning.html

February 5, 2009 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger PENolan said...

Hey VV: I saw the Zombie sign over at Bruce's blog the other day. More evidence of why I'm proud to be from Austin. Gail, you are very kind, as always. CK, you know very well I attract Crazy in all its incarnations. KMW, Do tell . . .

February 5, 2009 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger Naj said...

you have an interesting Avatar!
Hello!

February 5, 2009 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

It's shaping up nicely for the Summer Boyfriend Reality Show. I'll be watching! x

February 6, 2009 at 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home